New Member - Feeling apprehensive!

Introduce yourself to the group. The forum was updated in January 2012, with many new features to help members develop their Heir Hunting business. New to the forum? you need to register top right for link. Only HHA members and certain invited people can join the forum and your email address must be pre-approved. Members should be able to join, any troubles contact us.
PaulaC
New Forum Member

New Member - Feeling apprehensive!

Postby PaulaC » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:36 pm

Hello to everyone!

I'm a very new member of HHA (just joined yesterday) and new to the field of heir hunting. I'm not new to the research side of things, however, having 20+ years' experience of genealogy, a degree in historical research and ten years' experience as a registrar. Even so....I'm feeling very apprehensive about approaching a prospective heir for the first time.

I believe I may have already tracked down the sole beneficiary of an unclaimed estate and yet I don't feel confident enough to approach this person. I began by selecting a local person from the spreadsheet and then used Ancestry and local knowledge and resources to build a family tree, revealing just one potential beneficiary. My research was aided greatly by my finding a letter in our local newspaper's archive from 2006, sharing family history information about the deceased's father (who died in WW1). By following a lead from this article I've been able to establish the address and contact number of the person I believe would be the beneficiary. Having said that, I can't believe the estate would amount to much as the deceased died in a care home and her late husband's occupation was that of Local Authority Joiner.

I'd thought long and hard about whether I could/should try my hand at becoming an heir hunter and all my past work experience confirmed to me that this is something I could do. However, what I hadn't considered was the fact that when it comes down to it, I'm a bit of a coward about approaching people! This is especially the case in a small town like this one...perhaps I should forget this first attempt, put it down to experience, and try my hand at researching a case in another area (where people won't know me!)

Has anyone any advice?

maurice
Site Admin

Re: New Member - Feeling apprehensive!

Postby maurice » Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:03 am

Good luck, and hope your early success is for real

you can contact HHA direct via email for advise esp in the early days

getting a tel number is useful so use Fast Trak in our site www.hha-peopletrace.org.uk

also suggest you watch the estate on BV LIVE should it be claimed during your research www.hha-bvlive.com

Master Classes available from February see Dec 1 newsletter

responses to urgent issues via forum could be slow so contact me direct as I do not visit the forum every day
Maurice S Clarke
Founder of the Heir Hunters Association
http://www.heirhunters-association.org.uk
Managing Director of Heir Hunters Researchers Ltd http://www.hha-research.org.uk

DavidGaertner

Re: New Member - Feeling apprehensive!

Postby DavidGaertner » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:23 pm

HI Paula,

Just wondered how you were progressing? knocked on the door yet? Reply privately if you are more comfortable doing so!

Return to “New Members”