Hi from Oxfordshire

Introduce yourself to the group. The forum was updated in January 2012, with many new features to help members develop their Heir Hunting business. New to the forum? you need to register top right for link. Only HHA members and certain invited people can join the forum and your email address must be pre-approved. Members should be able to join, any troubles contact us.
Excavator
Established Forum Member

Hi from Oxfordshire

Postby Excavator » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:49 pm

Newbie here saying Hi! from Oxfordshire.

I've been doing family history research on & off since around 1990, so much time spent at CRO's & such both before and since the advent of internet records, and as well as my own family tree have conducted something of a One Name Study (Fluellen & derivatives).

I had previously considered genealogical study as a potential earner for when I retire (which could be as early as 18 months), but it was a chance encounter with 'Heir Hunters' on TV three days before Christmas (not a programme I had been watching) when I spotted a couple running a successful heir hunting business from their home (a Lord and Lady - perhaps they're on here?). I had never before considered that this could be done by private individuals.

Immediately I was on the internet, shortly discovering, and joining the HHA, and I can't wait to get going. In fact I already have, and have spent much of Christmas conducting initial researches into a number of estates.

Hope to speak - and perhaps meet - with many of you in the coming weeks / months.

Tony.

Denise56
Pro Forum Member

Re: Hi from Oxfordshire

Postby Denise56 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:42 pm

Hello Tony
Welcome to the world of heir hunting lol. I have been doing this simce May and I am a one man band but have completed and been paid out on 3 cases. Ready to submit my 4 th and working on two or three others. I stick to local historic cases mainly. No need to worry about submitting a claim to Tsol. As long as you have all the documents and a family tree drawn up it is quite easy. If you don't send all the info and they have to keep writing asking you for stuff it gets expensive and time consuming.
It does get a litttle addictive, especially when you get your first estate paid out. Just one slight problem, if you do not appear professional or have a business address and website, some heirs are rightly cautious. I have had to prove my worth with a few as you would expect these days. I always run through the family tree with them and mention the deceased name. I think it looks then as you are genuine.
Good luck. It will be all you think about after a while :)
Denise
Last edited by Denise56 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Excavator
Established Forum Member

Postby Excavator » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:39 pm

Many thanks, Denise, for your kind reply, it's good to talk to others and I was worried this forum looks a little quiet. Glad that you're finding it works for you - perhaps you can give a newbie a bit of advice.

Most of my genealogical stuff I did a few years back, and was mainly done at the Mormon library (we have very good friends who are Mormons), and later at various County Records Offices, and that online was pretty much limited to Familysearch, FreeBMD, etc. And so I've never used online Pay to View or Subscription sites such as Ancestry.com or the like.

But I'm guessing that nowadays I might be somewhat hampered by not doing so, as there's so much more information available through these resources - although clearly any such information will need validating. Do you use these sites and if so, which would you recommend as the most useful / value for money?

Thanks in advance. Tony

Denise56
Pro Forum Member

Postby Denise56 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:42 pm

Hello Tony
Personally I use Find My Past. They have a new 1939 register which really helps with clarifying marriage partners etc. I dont pay to view the record as you can get a little info from the free part.
Also I find free bmd useful. I use Staffordshire bmd and westmids bmd due to my location.
You need to use several sources really. From local archives to all free and paid for sites. I dont think Ancestry is as good as it used to be personally.
I look at the forum most days. So any more questions please ask
I have submitted 3 cases since I started in May and been paid out on all. One only took about 6 weeks to complete. Just make sure you send all docs they want at the start. I made that mistake in my first case and it delays things by a couple of weeks. I am working on 3 more cases. I am a one man band so dont thonk that rate of work is too bad.
All the best
Denise

Excavator
Established Forum Member

Postby Excavator » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:47 pm

Many thanks Denise, I appreciate all the advice I can get. Clearly as I work full time and have to make the most of my evenings for research, I need to get as much info online as I can, so that I don't waste any more time than I can help chasing false leads on the occasions I get to the CRO.
I've certainly found the 1939 Register useful at Find My Past, but now I'm getting to grips with the excellent search facility at FamilySearch (it's changed a lot since I last used it) I'm finding that really useful, and of course, FreeBMD.
Now I've got to find a way of keeping all my data in check, as I'm rapidly being taken over with piles of hastily scribbled notes!

Denise56
Pro Forum Member

Postby Denise56 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:53 pm

Hello again Tony
I found that you soon grow a pile of paper with no context or way of knowing what is what. I soon started organising every case into a folder with name and BV number on. I have a filing cabinet and am about to move into an office. This will be better for clients too as you look professional then. I have had some queries as to my qualification as an heir hunter. It will happen
When you start you begin with a pad and paper but soon need some organisation.
Denise

Return to “New Members”